Dust flux, Vostok ice core

Dust flux, Vostok ice core
Two dimensional phase space reconstruction of dust flux from the Vostok core over the period 186-4 ka using the time derivative method. Dust flux on the x-axis, rate of change is on the y-axis. From Gipp (2001).

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Zhengdong New District is not a ghost city

Apparently, a couple of years ago, 60 Minutes did a documentary on one of China's largest ghost cities--the new business district in eastern Zhengzhou. So let's go take a look and see how this ghost city is getting along.

I would have written about this before, but I had no idea that there were people who thought this was a ghost city. It's because I go there fairly often, mainly for the restaurants, and also for the art market.



Jade. This one could be yours for the price of a small house. In Toronto.


In the spring there was a significant pottery exhibit in the art market.





Brunch at London Glo, in the new business district.


A bit disappointing I haven't found time for the art gallery yet. Or the opera house. Or the Symphony. All of which look a bit like striped easter eggs.

The area is huge. Except for me, everyone, and I mean everyone, goes around by car.



The Soyoo Joy Club. I had to manoeuver through a parking lot full of high-end cars to take this. I was a bit worried at what might be inside.



Farther east, as I neared the east train station, I began to find skyscrapers that were still under construction.


Glorious skyscrapers, surrounded by merchants trying to eke out a living, selling 75-cent meals. Just like in Blade Runner!




No comments:

Post a Comment